Feb 27, 2009

Beetroot Halwa

Have been planning to do Carrot Halwa since I started off with my blog, somehow, for no special reasons, the idea has still being hanging around than being implemented...Donno watz real wrong...so, switched over my plan from carrot to beetroot, n immediately the plan was put into action still investigating watz went wrong between me and Mr. or should I say, since itz sweet,Ms.Carrot ;)


Ingredients:
  • Beetroot - 2
  • Milk - 1/2 cup
  • Sugar - 2 cups
  • Ghee - 5 tbsps
  • Cardamom Pdr - 1tsp

Preparation:

Grate the beetroot finely. To the grated beetroot add milk and a cup of sugar. Boil this in a water filled pressure cooker...Yes, you heard me rite...You have to put the ingredients into a bowl and cook it in a pressure cooker...don't u forget to fill the cooker with water, before you switch on the stove...I know the cooking experts feel that I sound crazy, well, there are sure some buddies who are juz starting with their adventure on cooking...So the advice goes to the newbie's of the club :). Cook the beetroot for 2 whistles and then switch off the flame. Allow the pressure to leave by itself. So after leaving the cooker alone for minimum 5 to 10 mins, open it and then transfer the ingredients to a wide pan. Cook till the watery consistency is fully absorbed by the beetroot. You can add another cup of sugar when you are waiting for the milk to get absorbed...Add also some 3 tbsps of ghee to it. You can adjust the ghee and sugar as per your taste...there is no set restrictions on the quantity of sugar n ghee...it wholely depends on ur taste buds...
In another pan, fry cashews in ghee. Once the beetroot reaches a solid consistency (not too watery), add the the fried cashews and also sprinkle some cardamom pdr to it. Cook for another couple of minutes. Tasty mouth-watering sweet Beetroot Halwa is ready to serve.
I served it with a scoop of vanilla icecream and everyone loved the combination. You can try it out too and invoke one of ur ideas when serving...Itz sure gonna be hit if served alone too...so don't worry... :)

This recipe goes to "Tasty Bites for Toddlers" Event hosted by PJ.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kavitha,

    Thanks for visiting my site. After reading your comments I felt as though we knew each for a very long time! So nice of you :)

    I went thru all your blogs. Cool yaar! I think i'll be visiting the kids section soon ;-)

    I have posted pineapple halwa in my blog and here is the beetroot halwa! Would definitely try out!

    I have linked u from my blog. Do link me back if u like my blog :)

    Btw, nice to know that u are also from Illinois :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at mail4kavi@gmail.com

You May also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape